19 September, 2016

First Days

First days can be awful for some people, not necessarily because it's a bad day but sometimes just because of how nervous people are. This is nearly always the case for me, with university just around the corner for some people, my second year starts this week let's talk about my first day at university.

As it was such a big deal and I was the first person out of my family to go to university I didn't really know what to expect. Also the fact I was the only one to go meant that there was more pressure on me to do good, mainly what I put on myself. 

So as you can imagine day one was not good for me, I was a complete nervous wreck (made even worse by my anxiety) it was so bad that I almost didn't attend.


As I live in a small village I had to take a train into town before I could get a train to university, once I got into town my connecting train was due to leave in 25 minutes. My anxiety was bubbling and getting worse by the minute and by the time I got into town I was on the brink of an anxiety attack (which for those who have not had them are awful, the whole gasping for air, shaking uncontrollably, it's not fun) so I got off the train and went into the toilets to try and calm down before I got on my next train.


Anxiety has been something that I have had to deal with for a long time and it has ruined a lot of opportunities for me, and it almost ruined the idea of me going to university, I remember being in the bathroom I couldn't breathe and my hands were shaking and I felt so sick, I wanted to just back home and hide, but I couldn't do that if I did that then anxiety would win again. As they announced that my train was pulling into the station I picked myself up off the floor (which now thinking about it was kind of disgusting) and made myself get on that train.


Now looking back on my first day I'm glad that I made myself get up and go. If I hadn't gone I know that I would feel much worse than I did that day, although I felt like crap and the day was kind of draining it put me one step closer to where I wanted to be. 

First days are hard for everyone in one way or another, everyone gets nervous and everyone has a certain amount of anxiety (sometimes more than others). When it begins to get too much take a minute to remember the reason why you started what you're doing, and take a breather. 

hayley1315advice@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment