10 October, 2016

Change

Like most people I'm not a big fan of change, especially the kind that up skittles everything; in some cases, I like things to be routine, I like them to be constant. Ironically the only thing that we can guarantee is constant is change. 

We spend our lives creating these routines that we feel comfortable in, like waking up, having breakfast, brushing our teeth etc. and if we can't complete these tasks how we like to then it sets us off. For example, if someone breaks my morning routine I tend not to be a happy person, but things can't always be the same things are constantly changing, merging, evolving. It's kind of like when we say things like 'people don't change' or someone tells you that you've changed, it's part of our existence we are changing constantly. Simple changes can pass by without us even noticing but there are some changes which can shift the ground where standing on. 


Change can sneak up on us and not everyone can handle it because in some cases it means that things are what they used to be, your world is different, unrecognisable, and there's not a lot you can do about it because it's happening right now. Over the last few years my life has gone down a completely different path than I had intended on, with every second that goes by my future is passing by and there are times when I'm not sure I like what I see like I said I'm not a big fan of change.  

Change can feel wrong because the lives that we have built make us feel safe, so we try to stop things from changing and cling on to what things were, instead of letting them be what they are. We cling on to old memories instead of moving on and forming new ones, we insist on believing even though all signs point to the inevitable. Forcing something to stay the same is unnatural, although letting go can be the hardest part because letting go means accepting that things have changed 

One of my favourite quotes comes from Benjamin Franklin who stated that the secret to success was 

               'Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today' 


I'm starting to understand what he meant, that a life full of oh wells is better than one full of what ifs, that knowing is better than wondering, and the biggest mistakes and our most epic failures are so much better than never even trying.

Change is inevitable, but how we let it affects us is our choice; we can let it break us down and ruin our lives, or we can embrace and see it as a second chance to move on with the rest of our lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment